Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Trials of Gary: Trial #1


Scott Alden. Some of you know that name, some of you do not. More accurately, some of you may THINK you know that name. But are you absolutely certain that you know the REAL Scott Alden?

Northampton-based renaissance man Scott Alden - comic artist, lead croon-factory of TASHA YAR and LEVELETTE, and sole proprietor of the continuing propagation of cleverly themed shows in Northampton (the VS. series among others) - has a new project called THE TRIALS OF GARY. The Trials of Gary is a weekly web comic that follows the adventures of a young wizard at a pivotal point in his training. Sounds dull and derivative, I know. But the execution is bloody brilliant and addictive. For the cost of a slice of pizza you can sign up for the comic here.

Anyway, this Sunday, Scott has enlisted Sylphid, Rabbit Rabbit, Friends of Yours, and Dust Savior to provide aural stimulation during Gary's first live trial, at The Elevens in Northampton, MA. I cannot explain this extravaganza in my own words, so I'll let Scott take over from this point forward:

-On Saturday 2/27 at 11:59 PM, I begin. As Gary enters the bloody and lawless kingdom of Boldwall to collect one dollar from each year of King Marel Yath's reign without the use of his magics, I will enter the Dunkin Donuts on King Street armed with colored pencils and fierce determination.

-I will have until 11:59 PM on Sunday 2/28 to create one dollar from each year of Marel Yath's reign. The currency will be rendered in color on both sides.

-At 9pm on Sunday 2/28 I will be seated by the stage at the Elevens on Pleasant Street in Northampton, MA and will have three hours to finish whatever dollars remain.

-I will be inspired to glory by the sounds of Dust Savior, Sylphid, Friends of Yours and Rabbit Rabbit.

-The dollars will be for sale at the event for ONE DOLLAR each. Don't worry, each dollar will be photographed before it is sold.

-Subscribers to The Trials of Gary get into the event for free, but you must RSVP to me by email if you're coming, so I can put you on the list.

-Non-members will pay a five dollar cover charge for which they also receive a trial subscription to the series.

-Should the unthinkable happen and I fail this challenge, Gary also fails at his and the repercussions will change the storyline completely. So, wish me luck because if he doesn't get across the Moody River, I haven't a clue where to go from there.


If that isn't rad enough, Andy (you know... from Ponds, Graph, Twenty-three, Sisters and Brothers, Belltone Suicide, Metallica) will be sitting in on the Sylphid set with us. In other words, just fucking go. This shit is going to be belligerent and I fear for the families and all-around well-being of anyone not in attendance.

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment